When is a good time for sellers to list their house or condo for sale in Iowa City? We all know houses sell all year round, so technically anytime is a good time to list a home for sale in the Iowa City area. However, it’s a fact that real estate is seasonal, so there will be times of the year when the chances of a quick sale are better than others. So… When is the best time to list a home in Iowa City? A time when sellers have the best chance to reach the most buyers and get the highest price for their home in the shortest time on market.
When do the Most Houses Sell in Iowa City?
The most efficient way to find an answer to the question of when the best time is to list a home in Iowa City is to look at the data.
- When is the market most active?
- When do the most houses sell?
The bar chart below shows home sales in Iowa City in 2017. It’s easy to see when the most houses sold. What needs to be factored into the chart is the lead up time to those sales. That’s the period we can see the most buyers out and about writing contracts and that unsurprisingly is in spring time. Perhaps the only surprise is that “spring” starts early in Iowa City and has nothing to do with the weather! If we take into account home sales in Iowa City are on the rise in April and start peaking in May, it’s fair to say that those houses are going to the “early bird” buyers who start looking earlier in the year. In summary, it’s very clear from the data that being an “early bird” seller pays off in Iowa City. Buyers are out early, it pays for sellers to be up and ready to go early too!
Homes Listed & Sold on the Iowa City MLS in 2017
Fast Facts About The Best Time to Sell A Home in the Iowa City Area
- In 2017 44.6% of the homes listed on the Iowa City MLS closed in May, June and July. 494 homes closed in May, June and July, with a total of 1107 homes sold last year in Iowa City. That means there are A LOT of buyers out looking at houses early in the year. Sellers who want to wait for warmer weather to list their houses miss out on all that early buyer activity.
- With an average of 45 – 60 days between accepted offer and closing date, sellers should allow a lead time of 2 – 3 months for listing their house or condo. An example would be listing in March for a late spring, early summer close.
- The best homes sell fast. By “best” we’re talking about the homes that are prepared well and priced right for the market. Over-pricing a home will ultimately lead to a longer time on market. As will putting a house on the market in less than stellar condition.
I’m a big fan of data and in this particular case the data makes it very clear when the best time is to list a home in Iowa City. I also help buyers and sellers in North Liberty and Coralville and the trend line on those charts looks very similar to this chart for Iowa City. The takeaway is easy. Buyers are out looking at houses early. It pays for sellers to be up and running and ready to go early too!
Are you thinking about listing your home or condo for sale in the Iowa City area? Sound advice and guidance is just a phone call, text or email away. Call Denise now at 319-400-0268.
Data for this post provided by the Iowa City MLS January 16, 2018.